You are here
Regular cleaning of your fly line will improve its performance and greatly extend its lifespan.
Fly lines collect grime from regular use, especially when fishing in stained waters. This build up creates friction against the guides and can negatively affect your casting distance. Removing this layer of grime will also improve a floating lines buoyancy creating less drag on the surface of the water.
Solvents from sunscreen and insect repellant can also be transferred to the fly line by our hands and can cause damage to the fly line.
Fortunately, cleaning your fly line is not a difficult chore. Commercial line cleaning and dressing products are readily available and make the process quite simple. Cleaning kits are typically comprised of a cleaning pad and a fly line dressing. You can also use a clean damp cloth or sponge to clean your line.
To clean your line, simply strip the fly line from your reel and run it through the cleaning pad or damp towel. Once the line has been cleaned, apply a coating of line dressing. This slick coating will help to protect your line and increase your casting distance. Now wind your line back onto the reel and you are finished.
A line winder can make this process even easier. Your fly line is wound onto a spool, which keeps it from getting tangled. If you were to allow the line to puddle onto the floor during cleaning, the line may also pick up debris from the floor.
Making a Line Winder
Here is a list of the parts you'll need:
Base - 17” x 5”
Arm - 7” x 2”
Reel Stand - 3.5” x 1”
Handle - 3.5” x 1”
Spool Base – 5” x 5”
Dowels – (1) 5/8” x 1” (4) 3/8” x 4” (1) 3/8” x 1”
Putting it all together:
- Attach 5/8” dowel into 5/8” hole drilled in the spool base
- Attach 3/8” dowels into 3/8” holes drilled in the opposite side of the spool base
- Arm is attached to the base with wood glue and brad nails. Assembled spool is inserted into 5/8” hole in the arm
- 3/8” dowel is attached to 3/8” hole in handle
- Handle is attached to 5/8” dowel in spool. Completed spool assembly
- Reel stand is attached to line winder base. Assembly completed
- Line winder complete with Velcro straps attached to hold reel to the stand
The finished product:
Taska Tungsten Tail Rubber